Monday, May 23, 2011

Great Ocean Road Adventures

Today, Monday, it is cold and rainy.  Although all I would like to do is curl up in bed and finish my new Sarah Dessen book while Kamron is in class, I thought it would be awful of me not to share how things have been going the past few days.  I apologize for how long this post is, but it is mainly pictures :)

This past weekend, Kamron and I traveled to the Great Ocean Road.  It was breath taking.  Our trip did not particularly start on on the right foot.  We woke up later than we wanted to on Saturday, but we had already packed what we wanted to bring on the trip the night before.  Because Kamron and I tend to be cheap, we packed plenty of food for our trip and some alcohol (but only for the night - Driving on the left side of the road is hard enough; who knows how hard it would have been after a few drinks).  We packed a map - thank goodness, because we ended up lost (no brainer, we are talking about two directionally challenged goobers).

Kamron and I walked to the car rental place, which was an adventure in itself.  I had written out google map directions on how to get there, but I don't know if y'all know this, but google maps sucks.  I have been led astray many of times, but this goes back to not being able to get myself out of a wet paper bag.  Okay, back to the car rental place.  Who knew that you had to have a freakin' credit card to rent a car.  Not a debit card, a CREDIT card.  This goes without saying, but neither Kamron or myself had a credit card.  By the time we walk back to Kamron's flat it is around ten o'clock.  It was looking like this trip wasn't going to happen at all.  After arguing the entire way back (because that makes everything go smoother), we looked up care rental places in the city that didn't require us to have a credit card.  We looked at a few different sites (slowly because Kamron's internet has yet to move faster than molasses).  I scribbled down a new set of directions, and Kamron and I made our way into the city.  We did end up with a car, and a much nicer car than we would have gotten originally.  Kamron would kill me if I didn't post one of his many "car shots" (Mr. Lusk, that was for you hehe), so there is one of the many below.


This was when we first got to the Great Ocean Road - our first car shot actually there (we took one before the trip, but it's on Kamron's camera).  The picture is not the best, but I didn't want to mesmerize you with the first.  Plus I am trying to keep it slightly in order.

Oh I also forgot to mention that google maps failed us, again.  On our way back we had to resort to the city map that the car dealership offered us.  Bless their souls, because we would have never made it out of the city it weren't for that map!  This is the same story for making it to the highway that would actually take us to the Great Ocean Road.  By this time I was ready to call a quits, but it's a good thing we didn't because the trip was fantastic.  Kamron drove most of the way there, but I drove a little once we got there.  We took a few videos while we were driving.  Kamron thought it was fun to take the curves going faster than any normal human being would - even though it is not noticeable in the video below.


Here is me driving :)


Kamron and I did make it to a number of historical sites on Sunday, but our first pictures came from scenic lookouts we made it to on Saturday.  Some of them are below.















Saturday night we slept with the 12 Apostles!  We were up with the sun and got a number of beautiful pictures and of course a car shot.  Kamron and I are certain that our car shot could make it into a Mitsubishi magazine for sure!  Some pictures are below.






We then drove on to the Loch Ard Gorge, where we got some great pictures of the Island Archway, the Loch Ard Gorge Lookout, and the Loch Ard Wreck Site.  I am not sure the order that we looked at these, but they are all wonderfully candid.  Some of them are below.









Kamron and I are also juvenile delinquents.  We spent a lot of our time breaking the rules by jumping fences and stepping over barriers, but we got some great pictures and videos out of the ordeal.  Kamron claiming to touch the oldest rock at the Loch Ard Gorge:


The weather progressively got worse after we stopped at the Loch Ard Gorge, but no worries Kamron and I are troopers.  We still managed to get some decent pictures, while somehow managing not to get ourselves killed on our adventures in unmarked territory (well sometimes it was marked, but it was only marked to tell us to stay on the path which we ignored haha).  After the Loch Ard Gorge we stopped to see .  Again, I'm not sure which is which in pictures, but they are pretty just the same.







It was sad to travel away from the Great Ocean Road, but it was definitely time well spent.  Getting back to Melbourne didn't take nearly as long as we thought it would.  On our way back we stopped by the Cheese Factory.  It had a little museum, a restaurant, a convenient store, and a ritzy cheese and wine store.  The cheese in Australia is nowhere near as good as the cheese in America.  The cheese they do have is pretty expensive.  Lucky for us, this cheese was just as good as the cheese at home.  Kamron and I bought some vintage cheddar and brie, and we stuck around long enough for a cheese tasting.  One word: delicious.  We also got a milkshake and a chai latte (not as good as the one from Kamron's work). That was the last stop, before our stop to get gas on our way back.  Let me just tell y'all how lucky we are when it comes to gas prices.  Here it is $1.45 (give or take based on the gas station) per liter!  Outrageous!  That definitely put a hole in our wallets when we had to fill up the rental to before we returned it.

That is pretty much it for this past weekend.  Today we returned out rental (after waking up late, again haha), and I have been looking up some places we are going to try and go to in the city.  But I hope this post wasn't too awfully boring.  It took me forever to upload these pictures.  I've spent all day/night (and then yet another day) uploading them!   I rewarded myself with some time to read my book while it took ten million years.  I've uploaded more pictures to my shutterfly account.  It can be seen at the link: roamingrachael.shutterfly.com.  Enjoy!!  I send my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment