Thursday, June 30, 2011

Epic last night!!!

I decided not to get up and hike to see the sunrise, because I would have plenty of hiking to do for the day!  All of us had a few options for the day: we could hike up to St. Mary's Summit (one of the tallest mountains in Southern Australia) or we could go on a couple of shorter walks that would be less rigorous.  Of course, I decided to climb to St. Mary's Summit!  It was tough.  Our group calledb ourselves Team Bad Ass!  Haha.  Naturally we got of course for a bit, and ended up having to bush walk our way through these trees.  Ouch.  It was very much worth it though!  We got to see two summits!  We should have known we were of course when we had to shimmy up a few rocks, but go Team Bad Ass for being awesome!!  The hike ended up being about eight miles total, and man it was a long day.  I luckily packed a victory beer with my lunch, which was well deserved.  I let everyone have a victory sip, because I though it was only fair to share. 

On our way back down, we saw a kangaroo with it's joey popping out!  It was soooo cute!  All I could think about was Kanga and Roo off of Winnie the Pooh.  I got some pretty good pictures of it too!  Unfortunately I couldn't get too many pictures from the hike, beacuse it wasn't all that safe to have Mel's camera out while we were running up the mountain (your welcome, Melanie.  Hehe).  When we were done, I bought myself a well deserved cappuccino.  While we drove back to camp, we got to watch the sunset from the back of the bus.

We spent most of the night just haning out.  I made some mix CDs for Peter.  Later on Peter taught us how to make Aboriginal bread on an open fire, which was pretty cool!  Maybe I can do that at home?  Haha.  While each of us made a jack (that's what the bread is called), Doug (our awesome bus driver) and Neil barbequed some kangaroo.  Rachel and I prepared our amazing salad with all of the spare veggie we had left.  Yumm!  Haha.  We had to eat dinner without any cutlery in order to get the true Aboriginal expereince.

After we ate and had a few more beers, Peter taught us an Aboriginal River Dance.  We ended up splitting into two groups and competing.  There was one portion where we competed one on one.  I just want y'all to imagine me (awkward me), dancing... omgosh.  It was aweful.  Just about as aweful as having to sing around the campfire.  Improv just isn't my thing.  Even if it isn't improv, it isn't my thing.  Haha.

Eventually I was put out of my misery, and we sat around the campfire and drank a little more.  It was already pretty late, so I headed to bed soon after.

No comments:

Post a Comment