Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Twenty-four plus

I’ve decided that when you spend more than twenty-four hours in transit, everything becomes a bit hazy and your memories are nothing but a blur.  I have never had so much caffeine in my life to make sure that I stayed awake in an attempt to avoid jetlag.  I felt like I was cramming for my abstract algebra exam all over again.

My travels didn’t particularly start off on the right foot.  The wait began as soon as I arrived at the airport.  Luckily Kamron was able to join me for the first sector of waiting.  It began with actually checking in.  There was a forever long line, but good news, everyone – both of my bags were UNDER the required wait… awesome!  Kamron did run and get cappuccinos for the wait, so it wasn’t a total drag.  After making it through check in, Kamron and I hung out for a bit, and I filled out my customs form.  It was a good thing I left when I did because customs getting in to Australia were just as bad as leaving.  I was almost certain that I was going to miss my flight.  No worries though, I didn’t miss it!

I sat in the dead last row of the aircraft, but I had an aisle seat this time.  Thank goodness!  The people I sat next to were awesome as well.  They were both Australian, and they had both just turned twenty-one (they were excited about being of legal age in the US).  I spent most of my flight reading, and watching movies – nothing all that exciting.  Alas, I do have a funny story to tell y’all.  First off, crazy people just seem to be magnetically attracted to me.  After we had dinner, we got ice cream (well, it said ice cream on the menu – I was super excited… it was a sorbet bar – not the same).  Of course we opened it up as soon as we got it, and I want you to just picture what happened.  I will give your imagination a second to conjure up some ideas…  You may have guessed it, but the girl who sat next to me got her tongue stuck to the bar!!!  HAHA!  I tried so hard not to pee my pants.  Some of the flight attendants came to the back of the plane to help her.  She ended up pouring water on her tongue and the bar to get her tongue detached.  I couldn’t help but laugh!!!  I think the flight attendant thought I was evil, but the girl was laughing too, so no worries!

Other than that I cannot think of anything too exciting from that long "A" flight!  I did almost miss my next flight because customs took two hours.  Luckily I wasn’t bringing anything crazy back, or it could have been worse.  After I made my way through customs (and being asked to switch lines at least ten times), I had to drop my bags off for my connecting flight.  The lady told me that she wasn’t sure that my baggage would make it on the flight, and I was like ohh goodie!  Again, no worries.  I did make my flight just in time, and I saw my luggage being taken off of the plane while I was waiting to get off myself. 

After yet another set back (a delay added on to my three hour layover from Dallas to RDU), I finally made it home!  I accomplished a great feat by not sleeping unless it was night time in Raleigh.  Of course I was a bit exhausted when I got home, but it was worth it in an attempt to avoid jet lag.  I am going to try and continue my blog when I go back to Australia (in less than a week, whew)!  I fly out Thursday, so I probably will not post until after then!

Thanks for all of my die hard followers - or even followers who are not die hard.  Hehe.  I have also updated my shutterfly page with all of the remaining pictures that I have!  I am hoping to get some more from Kamron, because sometimes we just used his camera, so we didn't have to worry about lugging around two.  I am not sure when I will get those up, probably not until towards the end of the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment