Thursday, June 30, 2011

What a beautiful start to a beautiful day

After making myself get out of bed, which was definitely accomplishing a great feat, I grabbed a quick breakfast.  While everyone else was still in bed, Shayne and one of the other girls, Stephanie, were about to hike up a hill behind our site.  I decided to join them, and I am very glad I did.  The view was breath taking, and I got a personal tutorial on photography, which was nice, since I’m a bit lacking in that area.  I think I got some pretty good shots, maybe something portfolio worthy.  We shall see.

We headed back to our site just in time to grab our bags and head out with everyone else for the day.  Our first stop was at a cemetery – kind of creepy, but I might have gotten some decent artistic shots.  We also stopped at a town called Blinman, where I got my much needed cappuccino and some pictures as well.  We then headed towards Glass Gorge, where we had lunch.  After lunch, a few played baseball with a rock for a bat.  I decided that it would be best for me to watch because of my lack of hand-eye coordination. 

We spent most of our day driving through the Flinders Ranges, which was beautiful.  While we were driving we made a stop to learn how to take panoramic shots.  They don’t seem all that difficult.  I am excited to learn more!  I’m not very good at taking shots at night, but I am hoping to get better.  We saw a lot of kangaroos and wallabies at dusk today, and we made it back to our accommodation just in time for the sunset.  By the time we made it up the hill behind our site, the sun had just passed over the horizon, but it was just as breathtaking, especially with a beer – thank goodness I grabbed it on my way out.  I just need to work on my night shots. 

After the sunset, we made our way back to camp, for more beers, journal work, and eventually dinner.  I also tried some scotch moonshine from one of my instructors.  His neighbor makes it.  Nothing like broadening your horizons!

No comments:

Post a Comment