Thursday, June 30, 2011

On the road again

Continental breakfast in Australia seems to take on a whole new meaning than in America.  First off, you pay for it (in this case 8$) and second off, it’s simply bread, butter, jam, cereal, coffee, and tea.  Talk about some bull shit.  8$ for that… dang.  After grabbing a stellar breakfast, I ran and got a cappuccino (yum… my weakness) with Kim, she’s from LA and awesome!

Then we headed towards Flinders Ranges, we’ve spent hours on the road today.  Abby is my bus buddy.  She’s from Nebraska and is much like me.  We both work on our blogs off and on as we drive, in between our motion sickness spells. 

On our trip, deeper into the Outback, we had to get rid of all of the fruit we brought because of the fruit flies.  We had to toss them before we crossed the checkpoint (later I found out that the other driver with most of our fruit didn’t haha).  At our first bathroom stop, our instructor, Shayne, gave us a task to walk around the fence and whoever came back first with something neat gets a chocolate bar.  Only a few participate, and we (and I use we loosely because I am not included haha) came up with a dried mandarin (aka orange – they don’t call them oranges in Australia), a piece of tubing, a feather, and out other instructor, Rachel, found some plastic netting and stuck it in her hat.  She won.  Lesson of the day: you can all walk the same bath but see something different.

While we were continuing our journey, our instructors passed around some pictures that we were supposed to critique.  It was exciting to actually be on par, even if I didn’t volunteer my ideas.  Typical Rachael, just trying to get by unnoticed with a fear of being wrong.

We finally made it our accommodation a few minutes before dark.  We unpacked the trailers with our luggage and our food for the week.  While some started on dinner, the others (which I was a part of) worked on getting the campfire started.  Peter, our Aboriginal leader, whom I’ve really started to enjoy spending time with, took over, and we were warming up in no time. 

Our accommodation is ten times nicer than I was expecting.  We are provided with linens, but I still slept in my sleeping bag.  It’s way warmer.

After our spaghetti dinner, wish was delicious (partly because I was starving), we sat around the campfire and listen to Peter.  He wrote a beautiful song.  He’s so talented.  Then we went around the campfire while one of the boys, Dan, played guitar, and we each had to sing about journey.  Needless to say that was absolutely traumatizing.  I lack any sort of musical talent, and I’m awful when it comes to any improvisation.  But, I survived, as you can see.  I showered shortly after and headed to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment