Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Helloooo Adelaide

We did finally make it to Adelaide, and we did so on time!  For those of you who know how Kamron and I function, we are slow and seldom on time, but not today!  We were at the car rental place with a full tank of gas ahead of schedule.  After we dropped off the car, we made our way to some scrumptious coffees and muffins.  Next stop: Samantha Ramsdell!

Also, interestingly enough Kamron and I made it to Sam’s hall without getting lost!  Thank you, thank you.  We are growing up so fast (mom, what movie? hehe).  The campus where Sam is staying makes me think of Meredith.  It is beautiful.  I could see why Sam would want to go there.  We then made our way to the Cleland Wildlife Park, where I got to pet kangaroos!  Talk about cool.  Some of them were humungoid!  One gave me a high five – sounds cool, and don’t get me wrong it was, but it hurt.  They’ve got claws!  Not only did I get to pet and feed kangaroos, I got to pet a koala too.  YAY!  I officially got the typical Australian experience.  I saw a Tasmanian devil too.  Those are not cute creatures, let me tell you. 

Next we ventured to a footy game, but with no such luck.  We couldn’t find the field.  Sam’s university was playing their rivals, so there was going to be a party afterwards.  Because Kamron and I had to get up early the next morning, we ended up not going.  W did, however, get to see girls run around shirtless from the balcony of Sam’s hall!  After this rival footy game each year, it is a tradition for all of the girls to do that and for all of the boys to have their jocks ripped off (I didn’t watch this one haha).  It was fantastic getting to stay up and talk to Sam.  Kamron and I got to meet some of her friends as well.  They are all pretty awesome!  Agnus (I hope I spelled this right) even shared how Sam gets when she’s put back a couple.  Priceless. 

Now we are up to Monday.  Kamron and I went on a wine tour through Barossa Valley!  All wine lovers, be jealous.  Hehe.  Sam couldn’t come because she had class.  Lame.  But thankfully the tour only had a few people on it, so we got to take our time at each of the wineries.  I learned a lot about which particular kinds of wines I like.  The four wineries we visited were Chateau Dorrien, Grant Burge, Kellermiester, and Chateau Yaldra.

We ended up buying four bottles of wine.  Most of them were exquisite cellar door wines that are special to Australia.  The first winery is known for its mead, which is kind of like whiskey mixed with wine.  It tastes like liqueur in my opinion.  I didn’t really like it, but I am glad I had the opportunity to try it, since I cannot try it anywhere else.  I also learned about Ports.  Like how sparkling wine can only be called champagne if it is from Champagne, port wine can only be called port if it’s from Portugal.

A delectable light lunch was also included in our tour.  Some other stops on our way to the wineries were the world’s largest rocking horse where Kamron and I picked up some much needed coffee, the Herbig Tree where a family of eighteen once lived, and the Whispering Wall built at the Barossa Reservoir.  It was fun to learn about the history of Australia and its wine while we were on our tour, plus getting to taste all of the wine, of course!  Now I can say I’ve had quality wine!  I tasted a bottle of wine that cost over a hundred dollars a pop! Woah!

When we made it back to Sam’s hall it was around dinnertime.  We hung out for a little bit before we made our way to Mexican restaurant that Sam recommended.  She said the margaritas were top notch.  I was thinking that it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to have yet another drink after my slight wine buzz, but by the time we made it there I was ready for another.  Sam was right the margaritas were excellent and the food was delish!  Since I’ve been in Australia, I have learned that I love to eat and drink muchos! 

We called it an early night since Kamron and I had to be up by three am to make it to the airport in time for our six o’clock flight!  Talk about gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment